- 460g (1 ¾ cup) mashed ripe banana
- 240g (1 ½ cup) wholemeal spelt flour
- 35g (1/3 cup) raw cacao powder
- 50g (1/2 cup) rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80ml (1/3 cup) almond milk
- 80ml (1/3 cup) coconut oil
- 150ml maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 180oC fan forced. Grease and line the base and sides of an 11 x 21cm (base measurement) loaf pan, allowing the edges to overhang.
- Sift flour, cacao, baking powder and bicarb soda into a large bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon oats. Add remaining oats and chocolate to bowl. Stir to combine. Make a well in centre.
- Whisk maple syrup, almond milk, oil, eggs and vanilla extract in a jug. Add almond milk mixture and banana to dry ingredients. Stir until combined. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with reserved oats. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This recipe used almond milk as alternative to buttermilk for dairy-free option. For vegan option, omit the eggs.
Click here to see the original recipe.